Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Ipsy, January 2014: A Review

This month was an ugly glam bag. I have had two months of bags that I absolutely loved. I guess it was about time to have a bag I didn't like. It's not that I mind the colors, but the silhouttes of the makeup products are a bit cheesy.. bleh.

This month my Ipsy Glam bag contained:
  • (MALIN + GOETZ) mojito lip balm
  • Benefit POREfessional 
  • Yaby Natural Finish Foundation in Buff
  • Absolute! Makeup Cleansing Tissue
  • Balanced Guru Body Balm


(MALIN + GOETZ) mojito lip balm.
First and foremost, I'd like to take a minute to complain about the packaging. It looks like a medicated ointment! I wouldn't really want to pull it out of my bag in front of anyone. Don't mind me while I put on my medicated ointment. Packaging does matter. It seems they went with a plain look, but the white with blue lettering? I am new to this brand, and they have not won me over. The actual lip balm is very greasy feeling. A little goes a long way and its hard to get just a little out of this tube. The lip balm has a little note "fatty acid absorption technology" on the front. What is that?! It doesn't say anywhere on the tube either. Or their website. Which seems to me like it doesn't really mean anything.... I've read through some testimonials of their other products. It seems their face care is their big seller. "Better than proactiv" Maybe I'll have to try something other than the lip gloss... As far as the mojito scent? I was hoping for party in a tube... it is barely scented. 12 dollars for a tube. No way would I pay that much!  

Benefit the POREfessional
As I've mentioned, my pothole pores can always use a little help. I was very excited to try this out because its on the spendy side. Thats the great thing about Ipsy! Try before you buy. 30 bucks for a tube over at Ulta. This really did a good job spackling over my pores and had a soft finish. However, now that I've tried it, a cheaper dupe would be Avon Magix face perfector, which I already own. Seriously very similar in formula. The Avon only costs 10 bucks! Check Magix out here

Here is the POREfessional under the Yaby foundation
What pores?!

Yaby natural finish liquid foundation
I love trying out different foundations! I was pleasantly surprised that it cost 13.55 from their website. It blended very well, was easy to work with, and provided a medium to full coverage without being cakey or too thick. The color I received was buff, and it seems to match my winter skin pretty well. It is something I would consider buying in the future. 

A! Absolute! Make-up Cleansing Tissues 
These sell for 6.99 over at Walgreens. That seems pretty average for makeup removal wipes. I honestly use wipes a lot in the evening. After a 12 hour shift I want easy makeup removal. The cucumber scent is nice. These do a nice job. 









Balanced Guru Body Balm
Egads! They charge 45 through their website for this body balm, and you will be surprised to learn it doesn't contain diamonds or gold. For the travel size, which I am sampling, it costs 12 dollars. That is too much for me to splurge on a body balm. This company does use organic ingredients, so if you are trying to use organic products you may want to check it out. It is a very strong citrusy scent. It also has an undertone that reminds me of Vick's vapor rub. 45 dollars for something that smells slightly medicated is just too much for me. It does not absorb into the skin very well and leaves my skin shimmery and shiny and a bit tacky. This product is not for me. Also, if you want me to recognize your brand name, you might make it a bit bigger on your packaging. Just sayin'

Join me on ipsy and subscribe to the Glam Bag! You get 4-5 beauty products every month delivered to your door, for just $10. Michelle Phan curates the bags! Check it out here

No comments:

Post a Comment