Monday, October 28, 2013

Ipsy, October 2013: A Review


Woot woot! Ipsy is doing it right this month. I'm loving what a variety of samples I received. Can't say much about the ugly ugly bag. I couldn't wait to dive in and sample. You can tell it is a great bag when I don't want to wait to try things out.



Ipsy won over my heart this month by giving me a nail polish sample. Zoya! The color is Giovanna. I have heard great things about this brand. It is a color I don't currently own which is even better. This has a pearlescent metallic sheen that is really great. It's hard to pick up on camera the depth this polish has. It is described as an emerald green, and it truly is even though I feel like at first glance it looks more teal.






StyleSexyHair Spray Clay. Kind of a flop so far. I knew it wasn't really going to work for my hair. Wrong kind of product but right BRAND of product. I can tell you that this brand of hair products is amazing. I have tried both the Big Sexy Hair line and the Healthy Sexy Hair line. I love their Chocolate Soymilk shampoo! Sulfate free and smells like a damn chocolate bar. Who wouldn't like that? This spray clay is from the Style Sexy Hair line. It is to create textured hair with a matte finish. My hair goes limp very quickly, so I think if I am going for a big hair night this may be the ticket. I was attempting a flat iron with a bit of edge to it... not quite there. The spray comes out VERY forcefully. As a first attempt with a product I've never used I would say there is room for improvement. Texture? Yes. Good texture? Not so much. I think this will work nicely when getting my hair ready for an updo.



Coastal Scents: Medium eyeshadow brush. I am loving it and using it all the time. The even better news? Easy on the wallet! 3 dollars for the eyeshadow brush I'm sampling. It seems like very good quality and I was surprised to see it was that cheap. I have more expensive brushes I don't like as much. It looks like they only sell through their online site. I'd be interested to try some of their makeup!





Bellaterra mineral shimmer eye shadow in Navy. Available through the Bella Terra website for $15. To me that's a lot to throw down on one single color. If I were to purchase I would want it to be a color I wore all the time. The pigmentation is actually pretty good. I used the tiniest bit as I knew I wanted a day look. This is just very quick application as I was pressed for time and headed out the door to an appointment. I used a neutral lid and just smoked out the crease a bit. Very wearable for a Navy color. I would definitely do a different lip color if I hadn't been sampling my lip pencil at the same time....It did not take very much at all and produced excellent color. The website also recommends adding it to nail polish, using it as a body glitter (not in navy unless you want to look bruised!), using a wet brush for a cream eyeshadow, using a wet eyeliner brush for eyeliner, using it with clear mascara for a pop of color, mixing with lip gloss, or even using it as hair streaks with hair gel. Interesting suggestions. 60 different shades through their website.



Starlooks lip pencil in Tipsy. Holy orange undertones batman!! I thought this would be pink but it is like a flourescent coral. This picture doesn't even do it justice! I was so hopeful when I first glanced at the pencil because it seemed close to my favorite pencil...  I used straight up pencil with a little lip gloss over the top. I will have to blend this color with something a little less LOOK AT ME.

PS. What is going on with my one eyebrow?!


Here it is next to my beloved "Radish" colored lip pencil. If only it weren't so orange! Bummer because I have yet to find a color that is my radish color. It is THE color for my lips, but the brand (Jane) went away for a long time. They have now re-branded and don't carry lip pencils. Some day I'll find a dupe... today is not that day.








Join me on ipsy and subscribe to the Glam Bag! You get 4-5 beauty products every month delivered to your door, for just $10. Michelle Phan curates the bags! Check it out here: http://www.ipsy.com/?refer=u-hkeep4gyw4of1rcp

No comments:

Post a Comment