Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Birchbox, September 2013: A Review



My very first Birchbox! How exciting! I am sorry my first couple videos are a little iffy. We are working out some filming details and hopefully my next will be much better. The lighting sucks in our movie room (it's meant to be dark) it just happened to be set up well for recording otherwise. Stay tuned for next month! 

I received 4/5 of the items for September. I wrote them an email, and it took a couple of days. Birchbox was out of samples of the nipple lip cream when I contacted them so they credited me 100 birchbox points (worth $10 in the birchbox store). I'm fine with that! However, could I please get box that doesn't have something missing or damaged? Fingers crossed for my first Ipsy!
Amika: Bombshell Blowout Spray

The first item I tried was the blow dry spray. When I first started blow drying my hair I felt like it was average. It almost had a sticky/tacky quality and I wasn't sure how the finished product would be. It definitely added volume to my hair and gave my hair some smoothness as well. I think it cut down a smidge of blow dry time as well. When I finished I would probably say I was more impressed with the finished product. It is still not a wow for me. I don't love the scent. It is not a miracle product, but maybe I'll have more to say as I use it. I usually use a paddle brush while blow drying, and could not find it, which make skew how I feel about the end result. 

Update: I've been using it every time I blow dry and am starting to really love it. I'm still not keen on the scent, but it makes my hair very smooth and voluminous. If you use "Its a 10!" I would say that is still a preferred product for me. Also when using my paddle brush or round brush it works better. 

These are some pics post "blowout spray" on the day I couldn't find my brush so this is just blow drying with my fingertips. 





Eyeko: Black Magic Mascara
Dram & Curl

I am generally of the philosophy that Mascara=mascara. The only mascara that I've ever found to come close to breaking that rule is L'oreal Volumious Million Lashes Mascara. It makes my eyelashes super thick but is still "just a mascara" in my opinion. But to be fair, I have a hard time dropping hard earned cash on mascara so I mostly sample drugstore brands. Well Eyeko is one of these instances where I was proven wrong. This is not a real volume builder but it makes them super super long with sort of a feathery look. I have to say that this sample made me want to buy this product. I have tiny lashes so for a product to make them so long and lush looking is awesome. I could hardly believe how long it made them appear! Even my husband noticed. I will be purchasing this mascara in the near future. I still think the packaging while cute, is going to end up wasting the product in those corners a brush will not reach. 

Dr. Jart+
Premium Beauty Balm

I kind of get tired of the doctor bs. Like having an MD or Dr. in the name makes it a miracle product. Maybe Dr. Jart got his degree from a cracker jack box. Gotta love the hype. This is my first BB cream which makes it very hard to compare it to anything. I used it after my normal after shower face routine (toner, skin brightener serum, moisturizer) but I did skip primer. I have to say I liked how smoothly this went on. It seems to "set" in the fact that as I started into my H/C routine it seemed to be a bit tacky and wherever I placed bronzer was immediately stuck to my skin. I like to blend things out using a kabuki brush and it made it very difficult to blend. Just something to plan better in the future as I apply product on top of the cream. The good news is that it wasn't going anywhere! I think this would be great on a day I needed to be flawless for a long period of time, as opposed to just getting ready to go out to dinner. I'm not sure I will purchase this product in the future, I feel like I will need to try some other BB creams as well.

Here are my before and after using the BB cream (also the eyeko mascara) 



Ruffian Nail Lacquer
Hedge Fund

I'm sorry, but I can't get over the ugly color. The last time I wore a shirt that was similar in color I was told I looked sick. It makes me never want to wear that color again. I *might* try it on my toes for halloween... witchy pea green? Hmmm.. I set it on my counter with all my other polishes and in the light that pours through my bathroom window it seemed better. Even the flash of my camera did the color a little justice. I will update if I decide to try it.

If you are interested in having your mailbox become exciting once again, consider joining Birchbox. It is a $10 recurring monthly fee to have deluxe samples in lovely packaging delivered to your door! It's a like a mini-christmas every month! Plus you can review products and earn points to buy items in the Birchbox store. Check it out here: Birchbox

No comments:

Post a Comment