Monday, October 28, 2013

Birchbox, October 2013: A Review


I have to say that I am neither here nor there with this box. I loved the 12 benefits and Staniac samples. I was not excited to get foil samples. Also, since 3 of my samples were all skincare from one brand, it didn't feel as if there was that much to sample. I like a little more variety. The chapstick came at a great time as I've had terrible chapped lips. Unfortunately, it didn't do much for me. Verdict? Meh. There is always next month. 


Dr. Brandt: Whitening Cream Cleanser, Whitening Renewal Solution, Microdermabrasion
I have to say I really enjoyed this microdermabrasion. I've used it several times now. It didn't feel like complete sandpaper (like the Goldfaden MD). On the flip side, I'm not sure it worked as well. I also used the whitening cleanser and whitening solution. Is it just me or when I read whitening solution I think teeth? Even though they were small foil packets I did get 3 washes out of the cleanser and two uses out of the solution. The cleanser foams up very nicely. The bad news is that face has been breaking out like crazy ever since. I have sensitive skin and usually when I use something it doesn't like, it shows. Maybe it was a coincidental breakout, but then again maybe not. This is a COSTLY brand. 2 oz of the Microdermabrasion will cost you over 75. (Might as well buy the Goldfaden with ruby crystals!! haha) The cleanser and renewal solution are around 50. I burnt my skin to a crisp a couple summers ago so now I have a lot more freckling and spots. I like the idea of the whitening line, but I think there are better products at better prices. Dr. Brandt also has a Pore No More line that is intriguing if I knew it wouldn't make my skin break out.


Staniac: Hint of Tint by theBalm cosmetics. This is designed as a gel blush but can also be used on the lips. The color is beauty queen. I was a little disappointed with the color only because it looked so much redder in the tube. On my lips it was much more of a berry pink color. Its not a bad color, just not what I was expecting. I utilized it both as a lip and a cheek stain as suggested. This is pretty much your average stain. If you like stains, you will like this product. I did a few layers as it was a night out and I wanted a bolder look. I used my fingers to smooth the stain onto my cheeks which ended up staining my fingers and I was unable to get it off with any makeup remover or soap. I wore this out to dinner and by the end of the meal the central portion of my lips was not very stained. Not very chic looking. Lesson learned- stains don't work well with eating. I really liked it as a gel blush, not as a much as a lip stain. Mostly due to color preference not formula. I'm super interested in theBalm brand and I would consider purchasing this stain. I would be interested to try their pink "Prom Queen" color. It sells $17 for a full size.




12 Benefits: Instant Healthy Hair Treatment. Here are the 12 Benefits put to work on my hair. The first photo is damp towel dried hair. These next few are post blow dry. You can see it makes my hair sleek and smooth. It is very touchable and soft. I am really digging this product! I don't think it gives my hair quite the sheen that It's a 10 products do however. Since I do have a tendency to have greasy hair, this could be a good thing. The spray nozzle worked really well dispersing evenly. Which is good because it's a pet peeve of mine when I can't get things to spray right and end up with a glob of product in one tiny spot on my hair. It has a nice soft scent, not overpowering at all. Another use for this product, according to the bottle, is for swimming protection. This will be perfect for the summer. Plus it comes in a cute pink bottle! I really love this product and it will be on my by list! It is 18-20 depending on whether you buy 6 or 8 oz. For a hair product, that really isn't that bad of a price.






ChapStick: Hydration lock. Save your money and buy some Blistex instead. It is still the waxy feeling ChapStick it has always been. 8 hour wear? Yeah right! I wanted to love this. I wanted this product to change my mind about their brand. I will say, if you love ChapStick already, you will probably like this. I just don't care at all for the formula.














I can't help myself so here are my recommendations instead: Blistex Deep Renewal for the softest lips. I have a hard time getting to the "end" of lipsticks and glosses because I have so many, but I frequently run out of deep renewal. It is part of my morning face routine. It feels amazing. Blistex Moisture Melt is great for a thicker lip gloss feel. Just as easy on your wallet, but way better than ChapStick!!!



If you are interested in having your mailbox become exciting once again, consider joining Birchbox. It is a $10 recurring monthly fee to have deluxe samples in lovely packaging delivered to your door! It's a like a mini-christmas every month! Plus you can review products and earn points to buy items in the Birchbox store. Check it out here: Birchbox


No comments:

Post a Comment