Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Anatomy of a BB Cream

I first heard about BB creams about a year and a half ago (maybe more?). I had no idea what to think about them. I have read they came to us from East and Southeast Asia. (Although apparently invented in Germany). After I heard this strange new beauty term I had to know more. I read they were hailed as the secret to porcelain skin by Korean and Japanese women. Intriguing. They are mostly called blemish balms or blemish base by those markets, but here in the US are frequently called beauty balms.

So here is what you need to know about BB creams. They are a handy all in one product. Think of it as a super charged tinted moisturizer. Here is the combo of products that you can expect to see in your cream:
  • Serum
  • Moisturizer
  • Primer
  • Foundation
  • Concealer
  • Skin Treatment
  • Sunblock
This is a great product for streamlining your routine. I never skip moisturizer but I do tend to skip primer, and serum on some days.

What you won't find in a BB cream
  • Acne treatment
Due to FDA regulations they can not combine the sunscreen and ingredients to combat acne. From my understanding a lot of acne treatments can make your skin photosensitive so it makes sense that they are not combined with sunscreen as it might ruin the efficacy of the sunscreen's SPF.

So what about CC creams? Color correction or color control. While I haven't tried any of these they are supposed to give a more even skin tone than the BB cream and is a lighter formula. However, each individual brand can vary.

The downside of these do it all creams and balms? Color. Most of these BB creams come in very limited shades. As this is more of a tint than a full on foundation this may or may not be a problem for you. But I would say if you like a minimal beauty treatment, try one out today! Just about every beauty brand has a BB cream on the market. I am in the process of reviewing a few BB creams and I'll have those up for your viewing pleasure soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment